Pages

Sunday 22 December 2013

Shaking off the cobwebs with a pre-Christmas walk along the Northumbrian coast


 

Looking north from Dunstanborough Castle to Low Newton by the Sea


 
I was feeling stale. I had a year’s-end sort of feeling. Book finished, Christmas shopping bought and wrapped, but still a long list of kitchen and general housework tasks to be tackled before the holidays start in earnest. To be honest, I would happily have spent today slumped in a chair with a good book and a mug or two of cocoa. Outside the temperature was 5 degrees (41), the wind was a stiff north-westerly, and rain-showers were arriving in a steady stream. 

It’s at times like this that you need a partner with a bit of get-up-and-go. Despite the fact that she was nursing what looks like an abscess, A decided that a brisk walk along the coast would do us both good.

It did. We drove up to Craster, walked to Dunstanborough Castle (below), and on around the beach to Low Newton where we had to queue for several minutes for a  pint of beer.

 

Right now, as our dinner bubbles on the stove and we enjoy the warmth of the house, I don’t have the words to describe the beauty of the views up there. Maybe the pictures will do the job for me.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear what people think about my blog. Please add a comment if you are in the mood.