Pages

Friday 22 January 2016

Another Road Trip Out West



It was meant to be a flying visit, but it's already turned into a three-week jaunt with a lot of driving involved.

Last autumn when we were in Chadron, Nebraska, I gave a talk at the Bean Broker Coffee House about The Red House On The Niobrara. It went down well, and out of conversations I had there I got to hear of Chadron State College's Wild Writing event in June. I am pleased to say that I have been invited to give a talk there, on Sunday 12th June - as well as participating in the writing retreat at Fort Robinson.

I can rarely resist an invitation to visit the Cornhusker State, and now have several more reasons to make the trip. The Willa Cather  Memorial Foundation at Red Cloud has invited me to give an address there on Saturday 25 June - preceded by a live interview on NET Radio's arts program on the Friday.

With the help of some good friends out there, I am working on more possibilities - one in Colorado at the Boulder Public Library, a second in Rapid City, South Dakota, at the Dahl Arts Center. I am also hopeful of arranging something at Valentine, home of that great little bookstore, Plains Trading.

By the time I fly out I hope to have with me a couple of additional books. One is 'There Used To Be a Guy... But He Died', the account of my bike ride across Nebraska. That's having a final copy-edit right now and ought to be available next month. And I'm planning a few cuts to the slightly overweight e-version of Toad's Road-Kill CafĂ©, which tells of my adventures along the Hundredth Meridian, from Laredo Texas to the Canadian border.

As - or if - I get more events nailed down I'll be sure to post them on here.

1 comment:

I like to hear what people think about my blog. Please add a comment if you are in the mood.