Pages

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Available at last: the incredible, rags to riches story of Eric Knight, the man who wrote Lassie - and a whole lot more.

It came out three weeks ago, but I have been too busy to post about it. After twenty years of research, during which author Greg Christie went blind and I took over the final editing, the epic story of Eric Knight has been published.



It was a privilege to be a part of the process whereby Greg unravelled this remarkable story. I was able to help him as mentor, critic and friend, finally as editor.

Throughout the process, which began in 1999, I never returned to the burgeoning manuscript without feeling yet again, in my bones, that this was one of the truly great stories to emerge from mid-twentieth century literature. (Yes, I did say literature - because there was an awful lot more to Eric Knight than the little pot-boiler he wrote about a shaggy dog; an awful lot.)

I was constantly reminded, too, that this story is important for movie historians (the lad worked in Hollywood, and detested the place), military historians (he worked hand-in-glove with FDR in striving to secure American involvement in World War II) and students of the American Dream - because he lived it, big time.

Okay, I'll shut up now and suggest that you read the book. You will NOT be disappointed.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I like to hear what people think about my blog. Please add a comment if you are in the mood.